Chief Tug Master
Responsible for day to day running of all port tugs. To ensure vessel operations activities are carried out on a regular basis as per schedule. To conduct HSE activities, ensure vessel availability and ensure that any incident occurs within the port is promptly reported to the concerned authority.
Objectives and Role Profile
Tug Master is fully responsible for the safety of the tug and the crew in all respect at all times.
Key Tasks and Performance Indicators
- Daily inspection of all safety gear, deck machinery and fire fighting equipment for their functioning condition.
- He is responsible to Chief tug master to give all reports of daily duties, mechanical defects, engine or generator failure, crew problems and any incident / accident.
- Assist the duty pilot in berthing un-berthing of vessel calling at Mina Zayed, Free Port, Musaffah, KP or any other location as required.
- Assist all suction trailer dredgers to maintain a safe position whilst discharging dredge material.
- Ensure that the correct length of tow rope is paid out or taken from the towed vessel and that the remaining part is wrapped correctly on the winch drum at all times or made fast correctly on the hook / bitts, as appropriate.
- Carry out frequent inspection of the towrope to check for any damage due to chaffing, oil stains, burnt marks, etc… and arrange for immediate replacement. If in doubt about the condition, then consult the Chief Tug Master or Marine Operations Manager.
- Inspect condition of the tug, its deck equipment and machinery condition, allocate, and monitor deck maintenance work to be done by the tug seamen, and report to the Chief Tug Master.
- Monitor and maintain the general condition and cleanliness of the tug at the prescribed standard level at all times.
- Report any accident / incident to the tug or vessel being assisted to the duty pilot, Port Control and to the Chief Tug Master immediately after its occurrence and submit a written report prior to leaving the Port.
- Report any defect or breakdown of navigation aids, deck equipment or machinery to the Chief Tug Master or Marine Operations Manager, upon taking over and as and when it occurs.
- Prepare requisitions that have to be made for tugs stores and equipment, and inquire into outstanding requisitions that are still pending and inform the Chief Tug Master or Marine Operations Manager of the same.
- Check, maintain record and report attendance of marine crafts crews to the Chief Tug Master.
- Understand and familiarize with the operation of all the navigation aids, the fire fighting and oil spill dispersing systems fitted on the tugs.
- Is required to work and operate all the port tugs and crafts including Navigation Buoys Tender Vessels, Antipollution Vessels, and the speed boats as required when in need.
- Must check and properly secure everything on deck and take all necessary safety precautions to safeguard his crew and the tug in bad weather.
- Plan, recommend to the Chief Tug Master and execute training programs that would reduce delays, enhance performance and productivity of all crafts and crew.
- Carry out training of newly appointed trainee Tug Masters.
- Must be well trained to operate radars, echo sounder and satellite global positioning system (GPS).
- Must be well conversant with rules of the roads at sea, navigation lights, their purpose and the precautions to avoid collisions at sea.
- Must be well conversant with International radio telephony, its procedures and distress signals.
- Secondary School, Valid Tug Master certificate issued by an approved Maritime Authority
- Written and spoken English is necessary, Arabic is preferred
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of relevant experience in the Main Port including berthing, un-berthing,
- Towing all size and kind of vessels operating ASD and Voith Schneider Propulsion systems.
Tug and Tender vessel Handling, Ship Husbandry and maintenance, General Tug and Tender V/L construction and stability, Crew Management Visual and Instrument Navigation, Application of radar, GPS and echo sounder in restricted visibility
Amount of Travel
Work At Home